Research has shown that regular exercise delivers significant benefits for individuals with Parkinson’s disease, including:
- Reduced stiffness
- Improved mobility
- Better posture
- Better balance
- Smoother gait
Exercise Safely and Effectively with Our Parkinson’s Program
Because of the special needs of Parkinson’s patients, it is extremely important to collaborate with a qualified physical therapist when developing your exercise program.
At Form and Function Physical Therapy, we have many years of experience in physical therapy for Parkinson’s patients. After carefully assessing your current abilities and limitations, we can create a personalized exercise program designed to help you maintain your mobility and independence. We know all the best strategies for maximizing the effectiveness of exercise, such as:
- Using large, rhythmic movements to decrease stiffness
- Using exercises that promote good biomechanics
- Incorporating variety, attention, repetition, and learning in exercise
- Using random practice exercises to help with difficulties switching between tasks
- Improving gait with exercises designed to prevent “freezing”
- Promoting balance with exercise
- Focusing on the more affected side of the body to drive neural adaptation
- Strengthening postural muscles without weight lifting
- Allowing a longer cool down to prevent stiffness after exercise
We can also assess you for any musculoskeletal imbalances that may be contributing to balance or mobility issues. These imbalances can be addressed with a combination of manual therapy and functional exercises.
Make an Appointment Today
If you would like to learn more about making Form and Function Physical Therapy your partner in managing mobility challenges from Parkinson’s, please call us at 516-243-9100 today.